Moderator: Jérémy Arnaud
1. Ken Forrester (Keynote Speaker) - Chenin Blanc Market
Firstly a general discussion on the current economic state of the planet and some guidelines as well as current opportunities and restraints.
As a signature variety for White Wine what does Chenin need to convey?
- What are the unique differentiators?
- Discuss current trends regarding
- Packaging as well as product - two very separate opportunities
- New generation winegrowers as well as new plantings
- Torch bearers and current icons
- Versatility of Chenin Blanc
- stylistic options and potential to engage current trends and hipster tendencies
- 70% of Chenin is grown out of the Loire Valley discuss other viticultural areas, specific sites/producers of unique wines
Can we liken/compare chenin to White Burgundy as a category and can we overlay a Chardonnay template and extrapolate useful information? - Explore the market positioning for chenin
- rival to Prosecco?
- supermarket quaffer?
- cocktail mixer? Hipster bars
- supreme white for haute cuisine?
- partner with Asian cuisine?
Taking the message to market
- influencers and trend setters
- common goal and target market
- stylistic choices
- increased awareness global ad campaign!?
- how to create “brand chenin”
- create chenin experiences
- cooperation amongst producers
Hopefully this addresses the economic, marketing and future communication aspects of Chenin and ultimately plays a role in enhancing the perception of Chenin Blanc amongst the public.